[Advocacy] OSS going before parliament next week

Eddie Bleasdale eddie.bleasdale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 09:38:43 GMT 2006

Ian,

It's even worse than BECTA not having a level playing field.

Last year I got the DFES to agree to fund the deployment of Linux in a
school in Birmingham. Funding agreed to by DFES and to mu mind all systems
go.

I then went on holiday. When I came back BECTA had decided not to proceed
with the project because it was something that was different to what they
are doing - i.e. not Microsoft.

If you want to know more speak to Leslie Fletcher.

Regards

Eddie

On 12/11/06, Iain Roberts <iain.roberts at opensourceconsortium.org> wrote:

> After the Queen's Speech this week, John Pugh MP will put down an Early
> Day Motion we've written saying nice things about OSS in education and
> expressing concern that Becta and the DfES aren't doing anything to
> promote it, even as far as a level playing field.
>
> When it's down, we'll be asking you to contact your MP and ask them to
> sign the EDM (we'll provide all the information you need to state the
> case).
>
> Myself, Leslie, Ian Lynch and Sue McGuire met with Becta's new Chief
> Executive last week (Becta being the govt. body advising schools on
> ICT).  Becta have made it clear that they do not believe their
> procurement frameworks are unfair to OSS and they have no plans to
> promote OSS outside those frameworks.
>
> We disagree and are not going to be shy in saying so.  If you can help
> us beyond contacting MPs (e.g. getting the message clear on our website,
> writing press releases, contacting other organisations that might
> support us (OSS, open standards, schools, universities, political groups
> etc.)) please let me know.
>
> You can find our under-development website at
>
> http://openschoolsalliance.bluefountain.com/
>
> (To be migrated to www.openschoolsalliance.org in the next few days).
>
> Iain.
>

> --