[Advocacy] Anybody there?

Iain Roberts iain.roberts at opensourceconsortium.org
Mon Oct 23 16:57:34 BST 2006

Hi Antony,

As you'd probably guess from my email on Friday, I agree with your
premise about getting the FLOSS message across in ways that other people
understand and relating it to things they care about.

I would keep lobbying and marketing separate; they're very different
activities, albeit it with some overlap.

I don't think lobbying requires too much money, certainly nothing like
£100k.  In addition to any staff costs, you could usefully use a few
thousand pounds for meetings and the like.  I would again invite anyone
interested in this route to contribute to the Open Schools Alliance.

I know little about marketing; but I would think marketing "FLOSS" would
open up a whole can of worms and be tricky, to say the least; though of
course there has been some success marketing individual products like
Firefox.  For anyone intersted in marketing FLOSS, Rory MacDonald and
Tom Callway, both experienced at OSS marketing, would be good to talk
to.  I suspect I can think of better ways to spend £100k though ;-)

Iain.