[UKUUG-Announce] CFP: Spring Conference 2006

Ray Miller ray.miller at ukuug.org
Thu Oct 13 22:37:56 BST 2005

                      UKUUG Spring Conference 2006
                         Call for Participation

UKUUG's annual Large Installation Systems Administration (LISA)
conference will take place in the historic city of Durham on Wednesday
22nd and Thursday 23rd March 2006.

This is the UK's only conference aimed specifically at systems and
network administrators.  It attracts a large number of professionals
from sites of all shapes and sizes.  As well as the technical talks,
the conference provides a friendly environment for delegates to meet,
learn, and enjoy lively debate on a host of subjects.

Tutorial

The conference will be preceded by a half-day tutorial or extended
workshop.  Recent past conferences have included sessions on: Perl for
Systems Administrators; IPv6; Linux HA; Perl 6.  If you would like to
offer a tutorial that might interest our target audience, please
submit a proposal.

Systems Administration Stream

If you are a systems administrator, we want to hear from you!  We are
seeking papers covering all aspects of systems and network
administration:

    * operating systems
    * security and audit
    * ethics and legislative compliance
    * storage solutions
    * network file systems
    * databases and directory services
    * authentication and authorisation
    * nomadic and wireless computing
    * benchmarking and performance tuning
    * configuration management
    * scripting and task automation
    * cluster management

If you have a novel solution to a problem, experience of a particular
application or hardware platform, tips and tricks for fellow systems
administrators, or a favourite tool you could talk about, please
submit a paper for consideration by the programme committee.

BSD MiniCon

We are also soliciting papers on the BSD family of operating systems
for a series of talks to run in parallel to the main LISA stream.  If
you are a BSD developer or have in-depth technical knowledge you would
like to share with the community, please consider submitting a paper.
We would also be interested in talks covering practical applications
of BSD, tips and tricks, and introductory talks for users new to BSD.

Best Paper

The programme committee will also award a prize for the Best Paper
submitted to the conference proceedings. The winner will receive
GBP 125 worth of O'Reilly books, and the runner-up GBP 75 of O'Reilly
books.

Significant Dates

Closing date for abstracts: 23rd December 2005
          Authors notified:  9th January  2006
       Programme published: 16th January  2006
          Final papers due: 20th February 2006

Method of Submission

Please submit a short autobiography and an initial abstract of 250-500
words via our online form:

  <http://www.ukuug.org/events/spring2006/submit/>

Talks should normally last 45 minutes (including questions and
answers).  There will also be slots available for extended talks of 60
minutes and lightning talks of 15 minutes.

You do not have to be a member of UKUUG to submit a paper, and
submissions from speakers outside the UK are welcome. Potential
speakers may request further information from <spring2006 at ukuug.org>.

Sponsorship Opportunities

We are seeking companies or institutions to sponsor various elements
of the conference.  Sponsorship opportunities include: paying for a
speaker's travel or accommodation; providing bursaries for delegates
who cannot pay the conference fee themselves; sponsoring catering,
lunches, or the conference dinner; providing pens, coffee cups, or
other items with your company logo.

All sponsors will be listed in the conference proceedings and included
on our website with a link back to your site.  You will also have the
opportunity to provide literature for distribution in delegate packs.
Please contact the UKUUG Secretariat to discuss the possibilities.

More Information

See the conference web site for news and up-to-date information:

  <http://www.ukuug.org/events/spring2006/>

About UKUUG

UKUUG - the UK's Unix and Open Systems User Group - is a non-profit
organization and technical forum for the advocacy of open systems,
particularly Unix and Unix-like operating systems, the promotion of
free and open-source software, and the advancement of open programming
standards and networking protocols.

 Address: UKUUG Secretariat
          PO Box 37
          Buntingford
          Herts, SG9 9UQ

   Email: <office at ukuug.org>
     Web: <http://www.ukuug.org/>

     Tel: +44 1763 273475
     Fax: +44 1763 273255

--
Ray Miller, UKUUG - the UK's Unix and Open Systems User Group
http://www.ukuug.org/