[UKUUG-Announce] GLLUG March meeting, "pavement to cloud"

Niall Mansfield nmm at uit.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 16:31:32 GMT 2009

(Forwarded by Niall Mansfield)

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:27:04 +0000
Subject: [Gllug-announce] Heads-up: March meeting, "pavement to cloud"
To: Gllug-announce at gllug.org.uk, 	Greater London Linux User Group
	<gllug at gllug.org.uk>

Our next meeting will be held during the afternoon of Saturday 28 March
2009, at Westminster University.

"From the pavement to the cloud":-

Peter Brownell (School of Everything) and David O'Dwyer
(t4partnership.com) built a scalable server infrastructure to host
Schoolofeverything.com using (Drupal on Debian on) Amazon's EC2 cloud to
be able to scale with growth - without the up-front expense. Did they
find the switch from hardware servers to virtual machines a welcome move?

Shaun McDonald (CloudMade) discovered OpenStreetMap during his final
year at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh and has helped run field
work in ever more exotic locations since. His talk will introduce the
system architecture and data/tagging model. We will then learn the
practicalities of the project and go out on our own mapping party of the
local area before returning to refine/update our local map with the
proceeds.

As usual, at the end of the day we shall decant to a local hostelry.

This is an announcement. More complete details will be provided closer
to the date. Suggestions and other contributions will be welcomed.

You could improve the meetings programme by suggesting (preferably
recommending) speakers, giving a 'lightning talk', or by contributing
your own time and expertise. Please contact Stephen Nelson-Smith or
myself...

Regards,
=dn
(on behalf of the 'gang of four'/GLLUG (meetings) leadership team)