[UKUUG-Announce] UKUUG - FLOSS UK & O'Reilly - Intermediate Python - 7th November 2012

Jane Morrison office at ukuug.org
Wed Oct 3 15:12:36 BST 2012

Early bird rates until 5th October....

See http://www.flossuk.org/Events/Python2012

Intermediate Python -   full day tutorial by John Pinner

Wednesday 7th November 2012

Venue: Imperial Hotel, Russell Square, London WC1B 5BB

years, and are regarded as a bit of an expert. Now you've 'picked up' Python
and got a few programs going, it all seemed easy enough although you were
shocked/horrified/mystified** at the differences between Python and your
favourite language.

On top of this, you showed your latest Python program to a long-time friend
who is an experienced Python user, and she turned her nose up at your code (of
which you had been rather proud) and said 'It's not very Pythonic, is it?' -

So this one day tutorial is for you, things we will cover include:

Recapitulation • Name spaces • mutability vs immutability • compile-time vs
run-time behaviour
Python Functions • Variable numbers of arguments • Python functions are first-
class objects • A simple despatch table
Contracts (lack of) and Conventions • Lack of interface/discipline cf [insert
language here] • Informal contracts and conventions • 'Duck' typing • Naming
conventions
Code Maintainability • Documentation • Avoiding mistakes; code checkers -
pychecker - pylint

Unicode - If you think you don't need Unicode, you're probably in denial, face
up to it now

Python 2 vs Python 3 • What are the differences ? • Which should I be using?
Multi-Platform applications • Tips for writing multi-platform code • Licensing
Functional Programming with Python • Python functional constructs • List
comprehensions • Lexical closures

WTF is Pythonic? • Style – The Zen of Python • PEP 8 – write code like Guido
van Rossum • Working with Python, it's not C, C++ or Java, don't try and make
it so

** Delete as applicable

Tutor: (Traditionally bios are written in the third person, but John Pinner
does not like this). 'I first started using computers in the sixties and have
used a number of programming languages, among them machine assembly and
languages, BASIC, Pascal, FORTRAN and C, together with a hefty dose of Bourne
and Korn shells.

Sadly, I became fluent in assembly language and even(re) wrote an entire disk
filing system in assembler.

Nowadays, just as it is no longer necessary to write filing systems and disk
drivers, one does not have to battle with archaic programming languages.

Thanks to Linux Journal I 'discovered' Python in 2000 and have been using it
ever since; together with an occasional regression to C, it covers all my
programming needs. I find that it gets in the way least of all the languages I
have used, and brings back the joy to programming. I am proud to be an elected
member of the Python Software Foundation, and am something of a Python
evangelist, through running training courses and promoting such events such as
PyCon UK.

As well as Python, I have been an enthusiastic user of FLOSS, was an original
contributor to the FSF, newly formed by RMS in 1985 and have served on UKUUG's
Council.'

Places are limited - early booking is essential - Early bird rates available
until 5th October 2012

Costs:
Individual & Corporate members - £192 inc. vat
Corporate members - £336 inc vat
Non-members - £480 inc. vat
--
FLOSS UK Secretariat